Monday, March 29, 2010

My letter to President Obama

Mr. President,

My name is Jessica Yanez-Perez, but to the United Stated Government, I am just a statistic. In March of 2009, I like many others across the country was laid off and my world was instantly changed.

Regardless of my experience, I haven't finished obtaining my secondary degree so the 100+ resumes sent out have seemed to be disregarded. I decided the best thing to do while looking for work was to continue my education, so I enrolled in my local community college. Thank goodness I was able to qualify for a Pell Grant, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to afford it. I am very sorry to say my rough time was only starting. You see, my parents live in California and I live in Texas. My parents were gracious enough to purchase my home under their name as long I as made the mortgage payments and agreed to help me make the payments when I was laid off, however, within a month of being laid off, my mom was diagnosed with breast cancer and my parents income was significantly reduced, which caused an additional strain. We applied for a loan modification but since my dad doesn't reside in the home, we were denied, regardless of the circumstances. I am still unemployed, going to school and looking for work which would pay me more than I am receiving in unemployment because although unemployment pay helps tremendously, it still doesn't cover my month to month expenses of mortgage, car payment, gas, insurance and utilities.

My parents are no longer financially able to help me and all my unemployment benefits will be exhausted within two months or so if Congress does not pass an extension soon. Employers are able to be as picky as they want since there are so many people looking for jobs. I pray continually that the people that have been elected to our government see beyond their own interests and get to know the people and faces behind the stories. I would like to not be a statistic to my own government, but a person who is valued and treated as such. I know there is nothing you can do personally to help me with my situation, but maybe my story can be another reminder to those who are constantly fighting , that while they reside in posh residences and have health insurance, many of us are looking to them with disgust and frustration at the infighting that is hurting most Americans like myself, not helping.

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl... I am praying for you.. I know what it is like to see your mom go through breast cancer. I went through it with my mom. It is tough but I know that you will lean on the Lord to help you get through this time.

    No matter who is in office the Lord is still the one on the throne. He is the provider of all things as you seek to draw closer to Him he will be sufficent for all your needs! 2 Corin 12:9

    ReplyDelete