Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Back to the Drawing Board?

So I know it's been a while since my last posting and really it's because I found a job, and wasn't the purpose of this blog to share my experience as yet another unemployed person in this insane time in America?

I keep myself very involved in various activities from church to social networking and professional groups. I like meeting new people, learning new things and making great connections. So from this I had a friend offer me a job at her place of business. She wanted someone to come in and help with Online and Social Media since in the 12 years her company has been around, they have never had any sort of web presence and she knows she must change with the times in order to stay relevant.

I won't lie, it's been a challenge. We work very differently. She likes to micromanage and I like to do my own thing and don't respond well to micromanaging. She has a very specific vision of what she wants and it's up to me to translate her sometimes chaotic verbiage into something tangent. Not really what I expected, but we've been trying to acclimate to each other's styles of working.

The website took much longer than expected since with every page and change she wanted something else change. I feel for the web designer, I really do. But in the end, she's in charge so it goes her way...I give my ideas and feedback, but if she decides not to take them, there is really nothing I can do.

Now, my new job is in jeopardy. Since this is a family business, my "Social Media and Marketing" position has to be approved by "corporate" which consists of her mother, stepfather and cousin. They, unlike my boss, are of the mindset, that a website and social media isn't needed. They've come this far without any marketing, why should they pay someone and start now? Unfortunately, they're not "making it"- they're scrapping by, a long way from being out of the woods if a few clients decide not to pay. So with that, they have given her two weeks to dissolve my department. Two weeks...to get rid of me...

So here I am, trying to pull up as much information as I can to show them that Social Media isn't something that can be measured within a couple weeks, especially since we just went viral over the last week or so. My boss, regardless if our working differences, wants to keep me on as well- she knows that things can't progress as is and must move forward. But...

So here I am- once again, possibly jobless. And since I wasn't making all that much money to begin with, I continued to draw from unemployment the difference in what I was making versus what unemployment paid me. Now, thanks to all the wonderful Republicans out there who thought it best to not extend unemployment benefits- if I can't find a job ASAP, I may be out of my home, my car and who knows where else.

Oh the joys of this economy.

No comments:

Post a Comment